The Herb Stop Blog
3 Common Summer Skin Concerns & The Best Herbal Remedies for Them
Each season brings new changes in temperature, humidity, and many other factors that can affect our skin. Some of the most common summer skin concerns include sunburns, rashes, bug bites, and acne breakouts.
Just as our wardrobe changes from season to season, we should adjust our skincare accordingly to address different skin concerns we may have. Today, we are sharing some of the best herbal remedies for these common summer skin concerns so that you can have healthy, radiant skin this summer!
Common Summer Skin Concerns
Sunburns and Sun Protection
Summer is a beautiful time of year to soak up some rays and enjoy the sunny outdoor weather! However, it’s equally important that you protect your skin while out and about.
Here are two natural sunscreen options that we recommend for you this summer:
- Derma-E Natural Mineral Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Body: This sunscreen is sheer and quick to absorb into your skin. We love that it applies evenly and can be used all over the body. In addition, it contains Vitamin C and green tea, which provide an extra layer of UV protection while helping your skin recover from sun exposure. This formula is completely vegan, GMO-free, paraben-free, gluten-free, fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, and sensitivity tested.
- Derma-E Natural Mineral Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Oil-Free Face: We love this formula for daily use. It works great underneath makeup and leaves you with a lightweight, non-greasy finish!
We also recommend this soothing aloe jelly formula:
- Hydrating Aloe Jelly: A summer must-have! Many people enjoy using aloe jelly after being out in the sun for its cooling and hydrating properties. This jelly is ideal for all skin types. Use this as a lightweight moisturizer, face mask, or body gel post-sun exposure.
Irritated Skin & Acne Breakouts
Summer can cause many of us to have increased oil production, leading to blemishes and breakouts. Try these soothing and blemish busting herbal remedies to support your skin during the hot summer months:
- Blemish Buster Cleanser: An excellent choice for individuals struggling with breakouts or chaotic skin. Our Blemish Buster Cleanser has activated charcoal, which absorbs excess oil, and rooibos tea, which is rich in antioxidants and helps soothe your skin and redness.
- Blackhead Remover Spray: Our Blackhead Remover Spray uses witch hazel, bergamot essential oil, apple cider vinegar, and cypress essential oils to help reduce the appearance of blackheads.
- Cooling Cucumber Toner: Cool yourself down this summer with our refreshing Cooling Cucumber Toner. This toner is ideal for any skin type and has natural anti-inflammatory properties. You’ll love the refreshing feeling and smell of this product.
- Blemish Buster Serum: Our Blemish Buster Serum contains lavender, camphor, and other blemish-busting essential oils in a base of organic golden jojoba oil. Apply at least twice daily on clean skin for several days to encourage the blemish to heal.
Bug Bites & Rashes
With more time spent outdoors, it’s not uncommon to get bug bites, stings, and cuts.
For protection against bug bites and stings, try the following natural remedies:
- Natural Bug Spray: Our natural bug spray is the ultimate natural remedy to ward off bugs. It’s made with pure Canadian catnip essential oils, which are said to be more effective than DEET.
- Bug Oil Concentrate Oil: Our incredible Bug Oil Concentrate Oil is a blend of Canadian catnip, citronella, lavender, and lemongrass, creating a potent combination that is excellent at helping bugs stay away. We recommend adding this to your body lotion or a natural bug spray base to protect yourself from bugs throughout your day.
- Bug Away Soap: Wash up with our Bug Away Soap made from Peppermint, Citronella, Lemon-Eucalyptus, and Geranium Essential Oils to encourage those pesky bugs to stay away. Not only that, but it smells absolutely lovely!
- Bay Laurel Essential Oil: Bay Laurel Essential Oil is a wonderful choice for preventing bugs from flocking to your skin. On top of that, Bay Laurel Essential Oil can encourage better lymphatic drainage, less stress, and better mental clarity.*
If a bug has bitten you, don’t worry! These herbal remedies are fantastic for encouraging relief from bug bites and stings:
- Sting Stop Roll-On Oil Blend: An absolute must-have when you’re out and about! This essential oil blend is great for stings, cuts, pokes, and bites because it contains German Chamomile, an anti-inflammatory. Always pull out the stinger before application, then apply to any stings or bites. This blend can be used as frequently as every 10 minutes during the first hour.*
- Heal Me Oil: Keep this on hand for minor wounds, such as cuts, scrapes, bites, or stings. Heal Me Oil uses comfrey leaf and essential oils to soothe and encourage faster healing of skin wounds.*
For additional information on natural remedies for keeping bugs away, check out our previous piece here (includes a natural bug spray recipe!).
Support Your Skin from the Inside Out
Beautiful skin starts from the inside out. We love these herbal remedies for supporting healthy and happy skin:
- Clear Skin Tea: Struggle with skin blemishes and acne? Our Clear Skin Tea is an excellent herbal remedy for supporting healthy, clear skin. It’s a favorite among many of our young customers!
- Golden Glow Tea: If you’re looking for a supportive tea that promotes youthful skin, consider our lightly sweet Golden Glow Tea. Our Golden Glow Tea has ginger, carrots, beets, and turmeric. Ginger may help protect against aging and loss of skin elasticity, while turmeric is a proven anti-inflammatory that may calm overactive pores.*
- Hair, Skin, and Nails Capsules: Our Hair, Skin, and Nails Capsules are a quick way to give your body plenty of supportive herbs for strengthening beautiful skin, healthy nails, and soft, bouncy hair. These capsules may also promote stronger myelin sheath, which protects the nerves.*
We hope today’s piece gave you some great ideas for addressing the most common and biggest summer skin concerns with herbal remedies.
Natalie & Leilah