The Herb Stop Blog
3 Supportive Herbs for Andropause “Male Menopause” + The Science Behind Them
Many do not know that some men experience andropause, commonly called “male menopause.” While this condition is usually less sudden than the menopause women experience, it can impact everyday life and overall happiness.
Keep reading to learn more about andropause, common symptoms, and several herbs that may support yourself or a loved one experiencing andropause.
What is Andropause?
Since andropause is less well-known, we will start by discussing what this period of a man's life may look like. Naturally, symptoms and severity vary from person to person, so we recommend speaking with a health professional about anything you are specifically experiencing for personalized advice.
There are several theories behind what causes andropause.
Women have a sudden change in hormones during menopause, but most men don’t experience andropause from a significant drop in testosterone all at once.
As men age, testosterone levels drop around 1% per year, generally starting in the mid-30s or early 40s. By the time men reach their late 40s or early 50s, this gradual drop in testosterone may take its toll, and you may not feel quite yourself anymore, leading to andropause.
According to The Mayo Clinic, common symptoms of low testosterone and andropause include:
- Mood swings
- Loss of muscle mass
- Difficulty sleeping or fatigue
- Weight gain or fat redistribution
- Poor concentration
- Reduced sexual desire and activity
- Erectile dysfunction
- Height loss (usually due to low bone mineral density)
Here’s the tricky part - some men experience andropause, but it’s not a result of too low testosterone levels in all cases.
Scientists also believe mental health could be the culprit for men who experience andropause but don’t have very low testosterone levels. Symptoms of andropause may be brought on psychologically, typically corresponding with other significant stressors, such as financial, health, or relationship problems or worry about aging parents.
As a result, some scientists have proposed that many men are instead experiencing what we might call “a mid-life crisis,” which is equally serious as it can lead to many of the same symptoms.
Regardless of the cause, andropause greatly impacts many men’s lives. So, it’s critical to consult with a medical professional and take proactive steps, such as improving sleep, supporting the body with herbal remedies, or increasing exercise to promote a better quality of life.
Ashwagandha has become increasingly popular for its purported stress-relieving effects. This herb may also support deeper sleep, proper adrenal function, and increased energy, which are often impacted by andropause.
As for the science, there is much to be excited about regarding how ashwagandha may support men experiencing low testosterone or andropause. A 2021 study by Advances in Nutrition found that ashwagandha roots and leaves and fenugreek seed extracts had some of the most substantial clinical evidence for increasing testosterone concentrations in men.
Here are a couple of ways to add ashwagandha to your routine:
- Ashwagandha Capsules: For an easy way to add ashwagandha into your life, try our capsules. We recommend these for men feeling stressed and seeking greater vitality.
- Adapto-Gen Capsules: Our Adapto-Gen Capsules promote a healthier response to stress, improved energy and stamina, and better adrenal function. Alongside ashwagandha, these capsules combine powerhouse herbs like rhodiola, ginger, and schisandra to help fight fatigue and stress.
- Gentle Strength Tea: Drinking a cup of tea in itself is relaxing for many. Take this calming habit a step further with this calming ashwagandha root tea. You’ll love the wonderful cherry flavor.
Saw Palmetto is a shrublike fan palm native to the southeastern United States. Historically, herbalists have used it to support a healthy male reproductive system, kidneys, and urine flow. It has also been traditionally used to help with low sperm count.
Clinically, researchers have found that saw palmetto oil helped improve prostate symptoms and increase testosterone in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), also known as an enlarged prostate.
Here are a few ways to incorporate saw palmetto into your routine to support your body during andropause:
- Saw Palmetto Capsules: Saw Palmetto is purported to be an adaptogen, making it especially supportive for older or burnt-out individuals. It may also encourage higher sperm count and improved prostate symptoms.
- For Men Only Extract: We formulated this extract for men interested in addressing prostate and libido issues. This potent extract comprises saw palmetto, cornsilk, pygeum, barberry, buchu, and cayenne.
Nettle root is traditionally taken to support healthy prostate function, making it an excellent choice for many men affected by andropause.
During one clinical trial, researchers studied nettle root’s effects on helping hormonal profiles in men and how it impacted lean body mass over six weeks. The findings suggested that active males taking nettle root may experience less muscle loss, which is something that many men in andropause face.
There have also been studies on whether nettle root increases testosterone levels. At this time, most studies we looked at concluded that nettle root doesn’t increase testosterone production, but it may help the body sustain higher levels of testosterone. More research is still needed, but we found these findings very interesting!
Try these nettle herbal remedies:
- Nettle Root Capsules: Nettle root has long been used to support the body when it’s experiencing prostate inflammation or urinary trouble.
- Movement Capsules: If you’re experiencing joint issues or inflammation, our Movement Capsules have a powerful combination of herbs that support joint mobility. Nettle, devil claw, yucca, kelp, feverfew, and other herbs make up this capsule formula and may soothe and lubricate joints.
- Pros Eaz Capsules: If you’re struggling with prostate inflammation or interested in promoting improved urinary health, this supportive formula is a good choice. It combines saw palmetto, cornsilk, nettle root, pumpkin seed, and pygeum bark to encourage healthy prostate function.
We hope this article gave you some ideas for ways to soothe andropause symptoms and improve your quality of life. As always, we are here to help if you have any questions!
Herbalist Natalie & Herbalist Leilah