The Herb Stop Blog
The Amazing Rooibos Tea
We have so many choices when it comes to beverages, and rooibos tea may be just the one you’ll enjoy the most. Rooibos tea has been getting an amazing amount of press recently. As people begin searching for healthy alternatives to soft drinks, rooibos, with its polyphenols, iron, zinc, fluoride, calcium and magnesium fits the bill. Enjoyed in South Africa for centuries, rooibos was first made available to Westerners by a Russian émigré named Benjamin Ginsberg. He recognized that its beneficial properties and wonderful taste made it an excellent caffeinefree alternative to traditional caffeinated teas. Besides being delicious, smooth, refreshing and hydrating, rooibos contains more anti-oxidant properties than green tea. Rooibos tea is also low in tannin, and contains not oxalic acid, and therefore can be consumed by those people who have either a sensitive stomach or re-occurring kidney stones.
Rooibos only grows commercially in one small corner of the world – South Africa’s Cederberg district. The soil conditions, rainfall and sunshine of the district can’t be duplicated anywhere else on earth. In order to protect the future of the industry, environmental controls in the area are stringent. Growers take great care to ensure that the fragile Cederberg ecosystem isn’t tempered with or altered.
How To Brew A Cup Of Rooibos Tea
Drinking rooibos tea may be more valuable than just drinking water, because it delivers minerals (electrolytes) to the body to help absorb water more effectively. The best way to prepare rooibos tea is as follows:
Hot Brewing Method
Bring freshly drawn cold water to a rolling boil. Place 1 teaspoon of Rooibos for each cup into the teapot. Pour the boiling water into the pot, cover and let steep for 3-7 minutes. Pour into your cup, add milk and sugar to taste.
Cold Brewing Method
To make 1 liter/quart place six teaspoons of rooibos into a teapot or heat resistant pitcher. Pour 1 ¼ cups of freshly boiled water over the rooibos. Steep for five minutes. Quarter fill a serving pitcher with cold water. Pour the rooibos into the serving pitcher straining the leaves. Add ice and top-up with cold water. Garnish and sweeten to taste.
Rooibos Tea Recipes
Enjoy the following recipes we have concocted here at The Herb Stop. If you have used rooibos in your recipes we sure would like to know.
Prepare a very strong, concentrated rooibos and blend it with steamed milk and foam for a one of a kind caffeine free treat. Lugano Pilamisu Rooibos or Mocha Rocha Rooibos (contains caffeine) makes a latte or cappuccino to die for.
Blend together one cup Florida Orange Rooibos tea with one cup of orange juice. You may also add bananas, and mix well in a blender bananas, strawberries or blueberries.
Hot Rooibos Oatmeal
Prepare your oatmeal with rooibos tea instead of water. A variety of naturally flavored rooibos teas in your oatmeal or millet may just be the most divine breakfast you would like wake up to, such as Bourbon Street Vanilla Rooibos, White Swiss Truffle Rooibos, or Almond Rocker Rooibos.
Rooibos Herbal Cooler
With the addition of these aromatic herbs you can transform the flavor and nutritional value of any beverage. All of these herbs are known for their calming, antidepressant properties, and health enhancing effect.
Bring 8 cups of water to a boil, turn off heat. Add dry herbs, cover tightly and let stand for eight hours or overnight. Strain and mix with two cups of strong rooibos tea. This beverage can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 – 4 days.
Rooibos Yogurt Sauce Over Berries
This is my favorite recipe for keeping away from the heat of the stove and cooking pots on hot summer days.
Clean and cut the berries if necessary, place into a bowl and set aside. Mix all ingredients in a blender and pour over the berries. Yummy!!!
Herb Stop Power Shakes With Rooibos Tea
A quick way in getting nutrients into your body, for those people on the run and no time to eat, is to combine any of The Herb Stop’s Power Shakes with a naturally flavored rooibos tea. Here are some ideas:
All C-ing Power Shake Power Shake - Blueberry Bang Rooibos Tea
B Alert Power Shake – Cinnamon Cha Cha Rooibos Tea
Building Blocks Power Shake - Winter Palace Marzipan Rooibos Tea
Daily Dose Power Shake – Sunshine Lemon Rooibos Tea
Exit Plan Power Shake – Thai Lemon Ginger Rooibos Tea
Expand Memory Power Shake - Green Rooibos Tea
Fuel Source – Blueberry Muffin Rooibos Tea
Power Up Power Shake – Almond Rocker Rooibos Tea
Sprout Up Power Shake – Plain Rooibos Tea
Young & Free Power Shake – A Raspberry In Paris Rooibos Tea
Rooibos Health Benefits
- Caffeine-free - Rooibos tea is totally caffeine-free and can be enjoyed all day without getting the jitters. Actually, some people say that one cup of rooibos tea just before going to bed helps them sleep better.
- Electrolytes - Drinking rooibos tea may be more valuable than just drinking water, because it delivers minerals (electrolytes) to the body to help absorb water more effectively.
- Polyphenols – Rooibos contains polyphenols, known for their antiinflammatory, anti-viral and anti-mutagenic qualities.
- Digestive relief – Rooibos tea is rich in anti-spasmodic properties, to ease stomach cramps and abdominal pains.
- Skin health – Alpha hydroxy acid and zinc are ingredients in rooibos tea and known to promote healthy skin. You may also apply rooibos tea directly on the skin to relieve diverse skin conditions.
- Bone/teeth health – Rich in calcium, manganese and fluoride, rooibos tea may support good bone structure and stronger teeth.
- High blood pressure- Rooibos tea may lower high blood pressure if it is due to nervous tension and stress.
- Kidney stones – There is no oxalic acid in rooibos, therefore, people prone to kidney stones can drink this beverage as much as they want.
- Allergies – South Africans drink rooibos tea to relief allergies.
- Anti-aging – Rooibos contains more anti-oxidant properties than green tea. These anti-aging properties have shown to slow down human aging processes and boost the immune system.
Rooibos Infused Anti-Oxidant Products
The herbs in these formulas are traditionally known for their anti-oxidant properties. This great tasting tea creates a gentle lift without heavy amounts of caffeine.
Setting Spray & Toner is used after mineral makeup application to set the powders. This amazing spray is also excellent for refreshing and hydrating your skin when used as a toner. Setting Spray & Toner can enhance your skin's radiance, as well as minimize age spots, sun spots and fine lines.
This anti-oxidant rich cream works on smoothing out those fine lines around the lips. Packed with DMAE, MSM and rich oils, this cream is sure to be a favorite.
Soothing and calming, this Refining Serum was developed for normal, combination, oily and problematic skin types. This light but powerful serum is packed with DMAE, aloe, antioxidants, MSM and hyaluronic acid. Does not leave an oily residue on the skin.
Leilah & Natalie
**Consult your healthcare practitioner before using any herbs in this article if you take pharmaceutical drugs or have a medical condition.