The Herb Stop Blog
Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 4 Blueberry Health Benefits
Happy National Blueberry Pie Day!
In honor of the day, we want to share the amazing health benefits that blueberries provide us with, two blueberry recipes for you to enjoy, and some of our favorite ways to incorporate blueberries into your diet.
Health Benefits of Blueberries
Blueberries are a fantastic fruit that provide a multitude of benefits. Here are just a few of the incredible benefits that blueberries have been shown to provide.
One study in 2011 found that older adults struggling with memory decline benefited from daily blueberry juice. For this study, one group consumed blueberry juice daily for 12 weeks, while the other had a placebo berry drink. The group that drank blueberry juice showed improved memory function, fewer depressive symptoms, and decreased inflammation.
Good Source of Vitamins & Minerals
Blueberries contain many vitamins and necessary nutrients, including a high amount of Vitamin C, fiber, folate, and manganese.
Manganese is necessary for processing carbohydrates, proteins, and cholesterol. Vitamin C offers a wealth of benefits, ranging from tissue growth, strengthening our immune system, and wound healing.
Fiber is another essential nutrient. Studies show that fiber may even decrease your risk of heart disease! According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, fiber also helps prevent constipation, improves digestion, and helps with weight management.
Like many berries, blueberries are rich in phenolic compounds, which have an impressive amount of antioxidants. Antioxidants are another critical component that has promising results in cancer prevention. According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, blueberries have demonstrated the ability to inhibit cancer cell reproduction and DNA damage, which are both great signs that blueberries have anti-cancer effects!
Carrots are touted as the food necessary for keeping your vision strong and healthy, but blueberries may offer even more benefits for your eye health.
Easy Ways to Add Blueberries to Your Diet
If you’re not a fan of fresh blueberries or they are a bit pricey in your area, don’t fret!
Blueberries can be consumed frozen, dried, or fresh. As long as real blueberries are used to make it, you’ll be set to reap the many health benefits that blueberries offer.
Delicious Blueberry Teas (Caffeine-Free)
- Maple Blueberry Honeybush Tea: If you have a serious sweet tooth, this is the tea for you! From the vanilla creme flavor, blueberries, maple flavor, and honeybush tea, you’re in for a sweet treat. Try this with delicious pancakes, and you’ll be in a state of bliss!
- Eye See You Tea: Made from many antioxidant-rich berries, including blueberries, our Eye See You Tea has a yummy orange and blueberry flavor sure to delight your senses!
- Blueberry Bang Rooibos Tea: This tea is delicious, aromatic, yet mellow. Great hot or cold. Rooibos tea may offer many health benefits on its own, including allergy relief, anti-aging properties, and digestive relief. To learn more about the incredible benefits of Rooibos tea, we suggest checking out our guide to Amazing Rooibos Tea here.
Delicious Blueberry Teas (Caffeinated)
- Blueberry Black Tea: Classic black tea with the added nutritional benefits of blackberry leaves and cornflower petals. Get your caffeine fix while adding some delicious blueberries into your diet.
- Blueberry White Tea: Blueberry White Tea is a luscious and healthy white tea that is delicious, both hot or cold.
- Blueberry Pomegranate White Tea: If you enjoy a sweet taste with some tartness, this is the tea for you! Our Blueberry Pomegranate White Tea is fabulous served over ice, making it a refreshing choice for the spring and summer.
Other Blueberry Products
- Bright Eyes Snack Mix: Containing freeze-dried blueberries, ginger chips, goji berries, and bilberries, this incredible snack mix packs a punch! A favorite among clients for tired eyes, reduced night vision, poor eyesight, and as an eye problem preventative. We also recommend this snack for those who suffer from allergies and sinus infections.
- Fuel Source Power Shake: This antioxidant-rich shake is loaded with fruit. Drink this fuel source power shake before working out for a big boost in energy. Also fantastic for replenishing your fuel and adding more nutrients to your everyday diet. Try adding this to your shakes, oatmeal, cereals, yogurt, and more!
- Repairing Vitamin C Serum: Our Vitamin C Serum is the perfect way to fight off free radicals and protect your skin from sun damage and hyperpigmentation. Between the blueberry, cranberry, and red raspberry extract, vitamin C, vitamin E, and rosehip seed oil, your skin will thank you for the amazing antioxidants in this serum.
Blueberry Pie Recipe
In the spirit of the day, we wanted to share a delicious blueberry pie recipe from The Gracious Pantry.
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this delicious blueberry pie:
- 1 standard pie crust
- 1 lb. fresh blueberries
- ½ cup apple sauce (unsweetened)
- 3 tbsp. arrowroot powder (tapioca starch or cornstarch work as well)
- ½ cup honey
- 1 large egg
For detailed instructions and step-by-step pictures, please see her recipe here.
Our Delicious Summer Fruit Breakfast Plate
If you’re looking for a delicious way to incorporate more blueberries into your life, try our delightful summer fruit breakfast plate recipe. This recipe combines sweet and tart flavors with its use of blueberries, crunchy pistachios, and figs.
You’ll need only three ingredients for this tasty platter:
Fig & Blueberry Breakfast Plate
- 8 Fresh Figs
- 1/2 cup Fresh Blueberries
- 1/4 cup Chopped Pistachios
For detailed instructions, see our full recipe for the summer fruit breakfast plate here.
We hope this sheds some light on the many excellent health benefits that blueberries offer us!
Whether you eat blueberries raw, drink them in a tea, or enjoy them in a pie, blueberries are an amazing gift from nature. Happy National Blueberry Pie Day!
Natalie & Leilah