The Herb Stop Blog
How to Add Flavor Without Salt | Our Favorite Spices & Blends
Happy More Herbs Less Salt Day!
Here in America, we tend to rely heavily on salt to season our foods. While salt is delicious, there are many other amazing ways to season our foods.
Today, we’ve gathered some of our best-selling spice blends and herbs for you to check out.
All of these spice blends are salt-free. Whether you are looking to lower your salt intake or simply find some new and exciting ways to flavor your foods, this piece is sure to inspire!
Seasonings That Go Well On Just About Anything!
We had to start with the spice blend that inspired this piece: Taste Without Salt.
- Taste Without Salt is a delicious blend of seasonings from yellow mustard to garlic to white pepper and is an excellent replacement for salt. Anything you would typically add salt to, you can use this as a replacement for!
- Herbs de Provence is a classic, Mediterranean-inspired seasoning that adds an aromatic flavor to just about anything. This version is made with lavender flowers, which are a staple for flavor in southern France.
- Lemon Pepper: This is a spice you just can’t go wrong with! Whether you use this on seafood, meat, poultry, tofu, pasta, salads, or vegetables, this is sure to liven up your food. This is also a fantastic spice to add to marinades and sauces.
- Fines Herbs: For those that like a more subtle, delicate taste, our Fines Herbes blend gives seafood, poultry, white sauces, and salads a light but delicious flavor.
- Garlic ‘n Herb Seasoning: For our garlic lovers out there, this is the blend for you. Between the garlic, green onion, black pepper, sesame seed, and more, this is a fantastic, convenient blend that will elevate any dish. The included lemon gives this an unexpected, delicious zestiness.
Spices with Southwestern Flair
The following spices are great for adding plenty of flavor and a little heat. All of these are southwestern-inspired spice blends that we can’t get enough of!
- Fajita Seasoning: This is a fantastic spice blend made with black pepper, onion, garlic, cumin, and a bit of cayenne to keep this dish flavorful but not intensely spicy. Add this to meat and tofu for an incredibly delicious treat that can be made into fajitas, tacos, stirfries, and more.
- Lime Pepper: This scrumptious blend of lemon peel powder, lime oil, several types of pepper, garlic, onion, and parsley is fantastic on just about anything. We think this is especially delicious with any kind of southwestern dish!
- Taco Seasoning: Our Taco Seasoning blend is a delicious blend of southwestern spices, such as chili powder, cayenne pepper, tomato pepper, and more. As the name suggests, this is fabulous on tacos but can also be used on a variety of meats, rice, beans, and in dips and sauces.
- Chili Powder Blend: This spice blend combines chili powder, cumin, coriander, and more to give you a kick of chili pepper. The Chili Powder blend is fabulous for making Mexican or Tex-Mex inspired dishes.
- Mexican Seasoning Blend: For authentic Mexican flavor, try our all-in-one blend that can make cooking your favorite Southwestern dishes easy and quick. We love this on grains, beans, and vegetables in particular.
- Southwest Spice: For those who want to feel the heat without a burning sensation, try our Southwest Spice blend. This blend incorporates several peppers, cumin, and tomato powder, and is fantastic on vegetables, eggs, beans, and salsas.
Our Favorite Veggie Seasonings
Are you looking to take your veggies from blah to marvelous? Try some of these fantastic spices to elevate your next vegetable dish.
- Veggie Pepper: This pepper blend was specially designed for taking your vegetable dishes from boring to rich, flavorful dishes that you won’t want to stop eating. If you enjoy the taste of black pepper, you’ll love this blend which also includes onion, garlic, bell peppers, and celery leaf.
- Asafoetida Powder: This is a classic Indian spice that adds a garlic and onion bite to many dishes. We think this is especially fantastic on veggies, especially cauliflower. For those that are unused to Indian cuisine flavors, we recommend trying this on grains and beans sparingly to acclimate your palette to the taste.
- Salad Sprinkle: If you’re looking to take your salad to the next level, try our Salad Sprinkle, which complements veggies of all types. Made from a mixture of peppers, spices, lemon, and seeds, this is a unique, savory blend that will make you want to eat more salad!
- Greek Seasoning: For a unique and salt-free flavor, try our Greek seasoning blend created from garlic, nutmeg, oregano, dill, and more. This adds a lovely Mediterranean flair to vegetables, pasta, meat, and more!
Spice Blends That Pack A Punch
Looking for some spices to pack some heat without the salt? Try these incredible blends!
- Blackened Creole Seasoning gives you an authentic taste of Creole southern flavor, which brings a rich and spicy flavor to any dish. This is incredibly delicious on rice, beans, grains, meats, and southern-style dishes like shrimp creole and gumbo.
- Cajun Seasoning: If you’re looking for a punchy spice blend made from delicious spices like paprika, garlic, cayenne, cumin, and more, look no further than our Cajun Seasoning. We recommend this for those that make a lot of soups and stews especially.
- Bar-B-Quick Barbeque Seasoning is a delicious mixture of chili peppers, paprika, pepper, cumin, and more. We love using this seasoning in ketchup or tomato-based dishes, as well as on tofu and meats. If you’re looking for more inspiration, check out our recipe on Vegan Black Bean Burgers.
- Curry Powder: The ultimate Indian spice that brings a delicious, unique taste to any dish you create. This flavor is popular for stirfries, meats, grains, raitas, dipping sauces, and more.
If you’re looking for just a touch of heat, try our Red Curry (Vindaloo) Seasoning, which is less intense than other curry seasonings but still adds a bit of heat!
It’s easy to get into a rut with cooking and rely on one spice, like salt, to carry a dish. However, these spices add a lot of flavor and are easy replacements for salt.
We hope this piece gives you some fresh ideas for your next meal!
Natalie and Leilah