The Herb Stop Blog
Love Your Pet Day: 4 Ways to Show Extra Love To Your Pet
February is the month of love. Between Valentine’s Day and Love Your Pet Day, this month is bursting with reminders to show some extra love to those special someones in your life - both furry and non-furry ones!
Celebrate Love Your Pet Day with us on February 20th by doing something special for your furry friend. Here are some of our favorite herbal ideas for showing them some extra love!
Every pet is different, so we recommend consulting with your veterinarian before giving your pet anything new. We’ve had many veterinarians tell us that they recommend different types of herbs to their patients, and they’ve seen some great results over the years, as we have ourselves. Here are a few of our favorite herbs for pets:
Soothe Their Anxiety
Everyone knows what it’s like to experience anxiety. Unfortunately, many of our pets regularly experience heightened anxiety during thunderstorms, trips to the veterinarian, or around loud noises like fireworks or sirens.
To help with this, we recommend some of our excellent herbal remedies:
- Our homeopathic Anxiety & Stress Aid for Pets is a great basic to have on hand to help comfort your pet when they’re experiencing anxiety.
- Pain is never fun and can cause anxiety and tension. Adding a little flaxseed to your pet’s food can help ease any discomfort your pet is experiencing.
- For those of you with cats, try our Inner Peace formula, which is created from Catnip! This formula helps to relieve anxiety and restore playfulness.
- Is your dog constantly barking? Is your dog or cat on edge and stressed out by every little noise? Try our Placid Perception Essence. Put a couple drops into their water to help soothe their agitation.
- Another alternative for soothing anxiety is our Bach Rescue Remedy for Pets, which is suitable for birds, horses, cats, and dogs!
See our previous article on herbs for your pet here for even more information on great herbs!
Spend Extra Time Playing with Your Pet
Whether this is in the form of playing fetch with your dog or teasing your cat with a feather toy, providing mental and physical stimulation is a meaningful way to care for your pet and to keep them healthy and active. At the end of the day, your pet wants to have your love and attention more than anything else. Give them this, and they’ll be happier, healthier, and definitely feeling the love!
If your pet is experiencing stiffness, arthritis, or joint problems, causing them to struggle with walking up stairs or chasing their ball, consider our movement for pets product, which is an arthritis formula specifically designed to ease joint pain and inflammation.
Some of the ingredients include:
- Devil’s Claw - known as a natural anti-inflammatory agent
- Yucca - high in saponins - a lubrication for the joints, as well as an anti-inflammatory
- Feverfew - known as an anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving ingredient
- Nettle - known as an excellent ingredient for decreasing pain
- Wild Yam - another possible anti-inflammatory and progesterone source
- Black Cohosh - known as a natural anti-inflammatory ingredient
All of these ingredients support better joint mobility and a better, healthier inflammatory response. Simply add a small amount of this to your pet’s food twice daily. See more information on this formula here.
Treat Their Tummy Troubles
Upset stomachs and nausea are immensely frustrating to deal with. Nothing is worse than watching your beloved pet deal with these problems.
For tummy troubles, we recommend:
- Crystallized Ginger Chips - As strange as it may sound, ginger chips can be incredibly soothing to a pet’s stomach. Ginger has many known health benefits ranging from helping with stomach pain and nausea to immune support to working as an anti-inflammatory agent in the body.
Another great way to show extra love to your pet is by regularly feeding them healthy and delicious foods. Try your hand at making a fun, easy dog treat for your pup!
We love making recipes with pumpkin due to pumpkin’s ability to calm an upset stomach and keep your dog’s digestion on track.
Peanut Butter & Pumpkin Puppy Treats
- ⅓ cup 100% pure pumpkin puree (avoid “pumpkin pie” mix or “pumpkin spice” purees. As delicious as pumpkin pie spice is, these spices are upsetting to a dog’s stomach)
- 1 cup flour (white, wheat, or rice flour, your choice)
- ½ cup natural peanut butter (avoid any peanut butter with xylitol in it as this is toxic to dogs)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine ingredients, then roll the dough out to about a 1/4th inch thickness
- Using a dog bone or circle cookie cutter, make small treat sized cookies.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool completely before giving to your pup!
Health and Wellness Supplements for Your Pet
Supporting your pet’s overall health and wellness is the ultimate way to show your pet love. A combination of regular veterinary care and healthy lifestyle choices, such as exercise, quality foods, and herbal supplements, can help your pet live a long and happy life for many years with you!
Here are some of our recommendations for supplementing your pet’s diet:
- Our Dog & Cat Formula is formulated specifically as an everyday vitamin supplement that you can add to your pet’s food. Many pet parents have reported that their pets have fresher breath, decreased plaque build-up, and a softer, healthier coat. Best of all? Many pet parents reported having pets with a happier mood. This formula includes wholesome ingredients like kelp, dandelion, sage, rosemary, and nettle to keep your dog or cat happier and healthier.
- Another great option is our Dog & Cat Greens, which we developed after hearing that many veterinarians encouraged pet parents to add more greens and herbs to their pet’s diet. The greens in this formula are packed with chlorophyll, vitamins, and minerals to support your pet’s overall health.
- Last but certainly not least is your pet’s paws. Our pet’s paws can become dry and cracked during the winter months, which is never fun. We recommend our Comfrey Salve to provide a burst of lasting moisture to help heal and moisturize your pet’s dry or cracked paws.
We wish you and your pet a great month celebrating the love your friendship brings to both your lives!
Many herbs that are helpful to humans can be beneficial to pets as well. If you’re looking for anything specific for you or your pet, feel free to contact us or stop by our shop. We’re happy to help you find great herbal remedies!
Leilah & Natalie