The Herb Stop Blog
The Best Herbal Remedies for Defeating Anxiety and Insomnia
The last year has been rough on all of us.
Stress levels are at an all-time high.
Many of us are struggling with insomnia or anxiety.
Many of us are beyond burnt out.
While we can’t control what’s going on in the world, we can develop coping strategies, such as using herbal remedies to relieve stress and get a better night’s sleep.
Today, we want to share our favorite herbal remedies for insomnia, mild depression, and anxiety in hopes that you can feel a little brighter, less tired and more relaxed.
Herbal Remedies for Insomnia
With insomnia affecting around one-third of the adult population, it’s no wonder that herbal remedies for insomnia are heavily sought out. Between insomnia’s adverse effects on our health, our social lives, and our ability to focus, it’s something that no one wants to undergo.
Here are a few of our favorite herbal remedies that may help fight insomnia:
- Quiet Mind Capsules: Struggling to fall asleep due to racing thoughts? Quiet Mind is a favorite herbal remedy that is known to calm a hyperactive mind and supports deep, uninterrupted sleep.
- Bach Rescue Sleep: Rescue sleep is a 100% natural sleep aid made with a variety of active ingredients that help calm a restless mind. Rescue sleep is not a sedative, is non-habit forming, and provides fast-acting relief for insomnia brought on by stress. If you’re looking to ease an overactive mind, try this out!
- Eaz Stress Capsules: With many of us struggling from insomnia due to stress, calming herbal remedies can be a great way to support better sleep. Eaz Stress capsules include Spirulina and St. John’s Wort for a calming yet uplifting, stress-relieving aid.
- Deep Sleep Tea: Made with calming lavender, chamomile, oats and safflower, our deep sleep tea is very relaxing. We recommend drinking this tea about an hour before bed to maximize its effect. You’re sure to feel more refreshed in the morning.
- Tranquil Capsules: Created with relaxing chamomile, immunity-enhancing Astragalus, and soothing Passion Flower, our Tranquil Capsules provide a wonderful mixture of calming herbs that supports better sleep and relaxation. Our Tranquil Capsules have also been used by those who suffer with stress-induced migraines.
- An Mien Pian Tablets: An Mien Pian Tablets, otherwise known as Restful Sleep Tablets, were traditionally used to nourish the blood, clear heart heat, transform phlegm, promote restful sleep, and regulate digestion. Above all else, we enjoy these tablets for promoting a great night’s sleep.
Herbal Remedies for Mild Depression and Anxiety
With stress levels at an all-time high, herbal remedies for mild depression and anxiety have been especially popular.
If you’re looking for a boost in optimism, joy, and confidence to counteract your stress levels, try some of these favorite herbal remedies:
- Sacral Chakra Tea: The sacral chakra is located below the navel. When balanced, a sacral chakra allows you to let your emotions flow freely, easily express yourself, and feel overall more confident and cheerful. Our sacral chakra tea combines powerful ingredients like jasmine flower, which is the flower of happiness, organic calendula petal for a boost in joy, happiness, and creativity, and organic coriander for an optimistic and confident mood. Enjoy up to 3 cups a day as desired or as directed by your healthcare physician.
- Light & Lift Capsules: A thoughtful mixture of herbs known for their uplifting influence on people struggling with low mood, the Light & Lift Capsules combine St. John’s Wort, Gingko, Valerian, Peppermint, and Rosemary to support increased serotonin levels.
- Brain Tea: This nourishing tea focuses on strengthening the brain without overstimulating the mind. Brain Tea may be beneficial the symptoms associated with hyperactivity, depression, fatigue, and scattered brain. If you’re looking for a great-tasting tea that can calm and nourish your brain, try our Brain Tea out!
- Skullcap/Passion Flower Extract: Passion flower is a soothing herb that has been traditionally used in combating symptoms relating to mild depression, nervousness, grinding and clenching the teeth, and insomnia. Skullcap is known for its ability to support a calm nervous system. This powerful combination is our recommendation for supporting your nervous system.
For additional herbal remedies that may help with the symptoms associated with anxiety and insomnia, keep reading!
Lemon balm, otherwise known as Melissa officinalis, has been traditionally used for relaxation, stress relief, anxiety, and nervousness. Lemon balm can be added to your lifestyle in a variety of ways.
- Lemon Balm Tea: If you’re a tea drinker, our lemon balm tea is delicious and recommended for relaxation with the added benefit of being a digestive aid.
- Lemon Balm (Melissa) Capsules: Our lemon balm capsules promote calm and relaxing feelings, may strengthen the nervous system, and support heart and stomach health. Lemon balm capsules encourage calmness and may help with nervous tension, which may help with insomnia, headaches, and anxiety. Lemon balm capsules may also be used to help the body loosen the digestive tract’s hardened mucous, soothing the mucous membranes. Due to this, lemon balm capsules may make an excellent remedy for stomachaches and colds too.
- Melissa/Valerian Extract: A wonderful mixture of both lemon balm and valerian extract (and other herbs), this combination may help with the symptoms associated with stress, insomnia, and nervousness. We recommend adding about 30 drops into your water 3 - 6 times daily or as directed by your healthcare physician for better sleep.
Valerian is a beautiful, flowery plant from Europe and Asia. Since ancient times, its roots have been used to promote sleep and sedation. Valerian is one of the greatest magnesium and calcium sources available and may ease the symptoms associated with anxiety, mild depression, and irritability.
In one study through the US National Library of Medicine, valerian root nearly doubled the participants’ chances of sleeping better when compared to the placebo group.
We offer valerian root in several varieties:
- Valerian Root Extract: For a relaxing effect, try adding around 15 to 30 drops in a small glass of water 3 to 4 times daily or as directed by your healthcare professional to support restful sleep.
- Valerian & Chamomile Bath Salts: For the ultimate relaxing night routine, try our valerian & chamomile bath salts out. Soak in these for 20 minutes before bed and enjoy unwinding to the delightful smell of chamomile and lavender, while valerian root and skullcap soothe your muscles and nervous system.
- Valerian Root Capsules: If you prefer to take capsules, we suggest taking two capsules about 1 hour before bed or as directed by your healthcare professional to promote better sleep.
- Sleepy Tea: Designed especially for encouraging a good night’s sleep, our sleepy tea has valerian, passion flower, skullcap, lavender, and more! We recommend drinking one cup before bed to soothe the mind, as sleepy tea is excellent to support sleep, rest and relaxation.
Rest and relaxation are vital to our health, wellbeing, and enjoyment of everyday life.
We hope this piece gave you some ideas for how to soothe your mind and ease tension. For further information, see our previous article on the best essential oils for boosting your spirits here.
Natalie and Leilah
*This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your mental health professional or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding your condition. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on any website.
If you are in crisis or you think you may have an emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. If you're having suicidal thoughts, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) to talk to a skilled, trained counselor at a crisis center in your area at any time (National Suicide Prevention Lifeline). If you are located outside the United States, call your local emergency line immediately.