The Herb Stop Blog
The BEST Immune System Boosting Herbs for Cold Season
It’s that time of year again. The temperature is dropping, sugar is everywhere, the holidays are upon us, and colds and cases of the flu are rampant.
Rather than waiting around and hoping we don’t get sick, we like to take a proactive approach to supporting and boosting our immune system, especially during these colder months.
Today, we’re going to break down our favorite, best-selling herbal supplements for boosting and strengthening your immune system so that we can all hopefully stay a little healthier this time of year and enjoy the season more!
Astragalus is a traditional medicinal plant used in Chinese medicine. Traditionally, it’s been used for building immunity and resistance. Astragalus is also frequently used in conjunction with other herbs to boost energy and build resistance against illness and weakness.*
We regularly recommend it to clients to help shorten and prevent cases of the common cold due to both its tradition as a key medicinal plant and recent scientific research, which has shown that Astragalus root can enhance immunoglobulin production and restore healthy T-cell activity. T-cells, which are developed in your Thymus, are a critical component in a healthy immune system. They are the adaptive part of your immune system that reacts and deals with foreign antigens, inflammation, and infections.
Interested in adding Astragalus to your routine? Here are some of our favorite ways to incorporate this supportive root into your diet:
- Astragalus Capsules: These capsules contain pure, organic Astragalus root and can be taken up to three times a day to help boost your immune system and build resistance.*
- Astragalus/Marshmallow Capsules: For those looking to boost their immune system and promote a healthy gut, this powerful combination of Astragalus root and Marshmallow is a great choice!*
- Defense Power Shake: For the ultimate preventative cocktail, our defense power shake contains Astragalus root, Reishi, Eleuthero root, and more. If you don’t enjoy drinking shakes or want to switch it up, try adding this to your cereal, bread, yogurt, or oatmeal.*
- Tranquil Capsules: If you tend to get sick after a period of great stress, we recommend trying our Tranquil Capsules out to ease your stress and insomnia. This capsule combines Astragalus, Chamomile, Eleuthero, Valerian, and more to relax, soothe, and calm your body and mind. Remember - taking care of your body and sleeping well are some of your best tools in staying healthier during cold and flu season!*
Reishi mushrooms are versatile mushrooms that offer many benefits, especially when it comes to supporting the immune system. Scientists have discovered that Reishi mushrooms, which have traditionally been used in Chinese medicine to prevent and treat many diseases, promote anti-inflammatory effects throughout the body. Other small clinical studies even found that Reishi enhances immune function and tumor response in cancer patients, which is something we’re very excited to see explored!
If you’re interested in trying Reishi mushrooms out, check these herbal supplements out:
- Reishi Mushroom Capsules: Our Reishi Mushroom Capsules provide an easy way for you to add Reishi to your diet. Taken regularly, Reishi can help to balance your physical and mental stress, along with promoting a healthier immune system response.*
- Mycel Immune Plus - Protocol For Life: This mushroom blend has it all, from Reishi, Turkey Tail, Lion’s Mane mushrooms, Astragalus extract, and more. With this blend, you’ll be providing your body with a lot of extra immune system support. This blend combines eight potent mushrooms and was designed specifically for supporting a healthy immune system.*
Immune + Berry Flavor - Om Mushrooms: This supplement has a variety of immune-supporting mushrooms and berries and is meant to be taken daily to support your immune system and a healthy gut. On top of this, it has a delicious fruity taste!*
If you’re interested in learning more about mushrooms, check out our previous piece on the top four health benefits of mushrooms here.
Looking for an Immune System Boost? Other Great Herbal Remedies We Love
For some easy ways to incorporate immune boosting herbal remedies into your daily routine, try these amazing options out:
- Bright Eyes Snack Mix: If you’re looking for a yummy snack packed with supportive nutrients, check out our Bright Eyes Snack Mix. As the name suggests, this is a great preventative for eye problems, as well as allergies and sinus infections.
- Personal Immunity Capsules: For a daily immune system boost, these capsules are an excellent option. They contain Astragalus, Eleuthero, Suma, and more to support a more robust immune system. We especially recommend these capsules if you struggle with colds as a result of stress or nervous tension.
- Immuni-Tea: The combination of organic chamomile, almonds, and red clover creates a delicious tea that helps to alkalize the system, purifying your blood in the process. Drink this regularly for extra immune system support.
- Elder Berry Syrup: This great-tasting syrup is a powerful blend of Elder Berries, Wild Cherry Bark, Osha, Yerba Santa, and more. Try adding 1 teaspoon of this syrup daily to support healthy immune function.*
- Pau d’Arco Capsules: Pau d’Arco is a bark that has traditionally been used as an anti-fungal, anti-infammatory, anti-microbial, immune tonic, and astringent.*
- Wellness Boost Capsules: Between the Elder Berry, Echinacea, Rosehips, and more, this capsules blend has it all when it comes to boosting your immune system. We recommend this to our clients frequently for promoting an immune boost during cold and flu season.*
- Turkey Tail Mushroom Capsules: Reishi mushrooms aren’t the only mushrooms known for their fantastic immune boosting benefits. Turkey Tail Mushrooms are also known to be a potent immune support food that promotes cellular support.*
We hope this piece gave you some ideas for ways that you can incorporate immune system boosting herbs into your day-to-day life. If you have any questions - don’t hesitate to reach out!
Stay safe and healthy friends!
Leilah & Natalie