The Herb Stop Blog
Time for a Spring Refresh! The March AromaBox
The time for spring cleaning is here! This time-honored tradition allows us to freshen our homes as we welcome spring. This task may feel overwhelming, but taking it one step at a time and using refreshing essential oils to support you and clean your home can keep you on task.
Keep reading to learn more about each item in our March AromaBox, its recommended uses, and DIY natural cleaner recipes to help you tackle spring cleaning.
Mountain Air Essential Oil
Our Mountain Air Essential Oil is formulated with rosemary, peppermint, lavandin grosso, eucalyptus, clove, and lemon essential oils and supports healthy respiratory function. This blend has a crisp, cleansing, and refreshing scent that is sure to become a favorite!
Some studies have even shown that essential oils, like peppermint oil, may relieve tension headaches, clear the sinuses, and reduce abdominal pain and spasms.
Our favorite uses for Mountain Air Essential Oil:
- Struggling with a cold, allergies, or feeling winded? Diffuse or inhale our Mountian Air Essential Oil to promote deeper breathing and peacefulness. Inhaling this blend may also help with tension headaches, migraines, and drowsiness.*
- Create a homemade all-purpose cleaner for your home with this essential oil. (See DIY recipe below)
- Add to your bath water, soap, or favorite shower product to treat yourself to a calming yet invigorating bath or shower. If you’re feeling sniffly, a bath with this blend may help clear your sinuses.
- Apply in a carrier oil, lotion, or salve to sore or spazzing body parts to promote relaxation and relief.
Thief Essential Oil Blend (Concentrate)
The name ‘Thief Essential Oil’ prompts many questions, but it has nothing to do with thievery - at least not how we use it!
This blend received its name after records of people working with aromatic oils and plants were able to escape the plague while others in the same area were dying from it. It’s rumored that one band of thieves in Toulouse even used an aromatic compound of sage, marjoram, rosemary, juniper, camphor, and cloves. All of these are recognized in aromatherapy for their antiviral and antibacterial properties, which may have protected these thieves against the plague. As a result, we call this blend Thief Essential Oil.
Research has even shown that clove oil had high amounts of antimicrobial activity against strong cultures of Borrelia burgdorferi, which causes Lyme disease.
Our recommendations for using Thief Essential Oil Blend:
- Excellent added to cleaning products, particularly in the bathroom and kitchen, because of its purported antiviral and antibacterial properties.
- The smell of rosemary, included in our Thief Essential Oil Blend, has been shown to have a stimulating effect. Many participants in this study noted a feeling of refreshment and feeling more active after inhaling rosemary essential oil. Try diffusing Thief Essential Oil Blend or rosemary essential oil before an important meeting, workout, or when you’re trying to wake up on a groggy Monday morning.
- Add to a favorite cream or salve. Thief Essential Oil Blend may promote wound healing. However, we always recommend consulting your doctor first and conducting a patch test to ensure your skin reacts positively to the blend.
New Beginnings Essential Oil Blend
Our New Beginnings Essential Oil Blend contains grapefruit, orange, tangerine, bergamot, lemon, rosemary, and lime essential oils. This blend promotes feelings of loyalty to yourself, supporting you as you go after your goal and keep promises to yourself.
We love this blend for creating unity between the mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical body.
Our favorite uses for New Beginnings Essential Oil Blend:
- Like the other essential oils in this month’s AromaBox, New Beginnings Essential Oil Blend is filled with essential oils that are wonderful for cleaning. Many add a refreshing, wonderful scent to cleaning products and have antibacterial properties. Some essential oils, like lime, are also known to help freshen up a sick room or remove stubborn cooking odors.
- Diffuse during meditation or other self-care activities to promote feelings of calm, happiness, and unity in your mental, spiritual, and physical health. According to a British study, rosemary and lemon essential oils have been shown to impact cognition and mood in healthy adults positively.
- Apply to the body in a carrier oil, cream, salve, or other body care product to uplift your spirits during an emotionally exhausting time. Alternatively, you can dab a little under your nose or on the neck area so that you are inhaling the blend as you go about your day, promoting overall calm and quiet confidence.
*NEW* Spring Is Here Roll-On
Our brand new Spring Is Here Roll-On contains geranium, dalmatian sage, grapefruit, and cedarwood essential oils for a lovely spring scent.
We recommend applying this to your neck, pulse points, or anywhere else on the body for an uplifting, refreshing scent that supports a positive, springy mood!
Natural Cleaner Recipes Using Essential Oils
We recommend storing essential oil cleaners in glass bottles if possible, as essential oils can degrade the plastic over enough time. A dark, tinted glass is also ideal for protecting essential oils from sunlight. Lastly, always make sure to shake the bottle before use, as essential oils will separate from water or vinegar in between uses.
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups water (distilled preferably)
- 30 drops of a citrus essential oil or blend, such as our New Beginnings Essential Oil blend
Combine these ingredients and spray the mixture onto surfaces to clean.
Please note that some surfaces, like marble, may be stained by vinegar, so always check before spraying a new material.
Antibacterial Homemade Cleaner (Perfect for the Bathroom and Kitchen)
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 3 cups water (distilled preferably)
- 10 to 30 drops of Thief Essential Oil Blend or another antibacterial essential oil
Combine in a glass bottle before spraying.
We hope today’s piece inspires you to tackle your spring cleaning and refresh with renewed vigor! We love using homemade essential oil cleaners to avoid using cleaning products with huge ingredient lists; the smell is always amazing!
Herbalist Natalie & Herbalist Leilah