The Herb Stop Blog
Top 3 Herbal Remedies for Defeating Brain Fog +The Research Behind Them
Brain fog. It’s one of those states that nobody wants to be in. Between forgetfulness, lack of focus, and spaciness, nobody enjoys feeling brain fog. Unfortunately, many who experience brain fog also feel less “like themselves” and “out of it,” and it can be challenging to center ourselves after experiencing these feelings.
To support our minds and body when we experience brain fog, it’s important that we ground and reconnect with ourselves, and gain mental clarity once more. To help you out, we’re sharing the top three herbs for promoting less brain fog and greater mental clarity.
Vetivert, or Vetiver, is an ancient herb that has been used extensively in Ayurveda for various things, including relieving muscular pain, stiffness, and supporting the liver. Recently, it’s also been found to be great for grounding us when we feel spacey, nervous, hyperactive, or mentally spent.
One study found that Vetiver improved brain activity and reduced hyperactivity in the study’s participants. The participants were children with ADHD between the ages of six and fourteen years old, and they were given essential oil to inhale, including cedarwood, vetivert, and lavender. While all three essential oils did positively affect the participants, cedarwood and vetivert were found to be the most effective at improving brain activity, which was measured through real-time EEG equipment during the study.
Some of our favorite Vetivert products for improving mental clarity and reducing brain fog:
- Vetivert Essential Oil: Vetivert Essential Oil is an incredibly relaxing essential oil that we frequently recommend to relieve stress, tension, and improve brain fog symptoms.* Try adding Vetivert essential oil to your diffuser, a carrier lotion or oil, or bath salts for an extra relaxing, rejuvenating, and grounding experience.
- Peace Potion Essential Oil Blend: Need help centering yourself? We developed our Peace Potion Essential Oil Blend with Vetivert, Bergamot, Orange, Lavender, and more to help you center your mind, body, and emotions. We also offer this blend in a handy on-the-go Peace Potion Roll-On Oil Blend.
- Root Chakra Roll-On Oil Blend: This warm and earthy blend of essential oils is perfect for grounding and centering your mind. It is great to energize your mind to enhance calm, focused energy.
- Eternal Youth Roll-On Oil Blend: Our Eternal Youth Roll-On Oil Blend contains both Cedarwood and Vetivert to give you a relaxing essential oil blend that’ll help you take a moment to connect with your body. We also love this blend for its amazing skincare benefits. These essential oils are known for hydrating, firming, and rejuvenating the skin - a wonderful way to help you center your mind and body simultaneously.
- Intimate Moments Essential Oil Blend: Struggling to feel connected to your sensuality and body? Our Intimate Moments Essential Blend has a relaxing blend of Vetivert and other sensual essential oils like Blood Orange, Patchouli, and Ylang Ylang. Try adding this oil blend to massage oil, body spray, or body wash to give yourself a daily boost.
Rosemary is a delicious spice that many enjoy eating, but it is also one of the best herbs for improving concentration and focus.*
One study from the journal Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacology found that study participants completing visual processing and math tasks were able to complete the tasks with higher accuracy and improved speed when rosemary was diffused in the room. So, if you’re struggling with brain fog, rosemary may be a great herb for you to support your mind and improve cognitive function. A British study also found that the aroma of rosemary and lemon essential oil positively affected mood and cognition in healthy adults.
Here are a few of our favorite brain-boosting rosemary remedies:
- Rosemary Essential Oil: Rosemary Essential Oil has a strong, refreshing, and invigorating scent. We frequently recommend it for helping with skin healing and respiratory properties. However, it’s also a great choice for those feeling mentally strained, frazzled, drained, or unfocused.*
- Balance & Focus Essential Oil: Balance & Focus Essential Oil is an incredible blend of rosemary, peppermint, basil, lavender, and clary sage. We love the sharp smell of peppermint because it’s a popular focus aid. Many of our clients love this blend for improving their focus, concentration, and even physical balance!*
- Brain Tea: This delicious tea helps promote calmness and peaceful mental energy. We can't recommend this balancing tea enough if you struggle with hyperactivity, fatigue, or brain fog! It’s great for helping to even out emotional and mental imbalances.*
- Mountain Air Roll-On Essential Oil Blend: Feeling disconnected from your body? Our Mountain Air Roll-On Essential Oil Blend is refreshing, stimulating, and helps to support an improved respiratory function. We recommend this roll-on to encourage deep breathing to help you ground yourself during moments of brain fog and stress. Want to diffuse this oil? Check out our Mountain Air Essential Oil Blend. Or, enjoy this scent in our Mountain Air Handmade Soap.
Our energy is usually zapped when we have brain fog, and our minds and bodies are typically more susceptible to stress-related symptoms. Eleuthero is less well known than many herbs, but it’s a powerhouse for supporting healthy stress resistance and restoring energy. Recent studies have also found that Eleuthero may improve athletic performance because it has been shown to strengthen the immune system and decrease the chances of post-exercise infection.
Other studies found that patients with mild to moderate chronic fatigue benefited from supplementing with Eleuthero. However, these studies also noted that sporadic, “pulsed” Eleuthero use had a greater effect because some study participants noted decreased effectiveness after two months of continuous use, which is something we wanted to note.
Interested in trying Eleuthero out to reduce brain fog and boost energy? Check these herbal remedies out:
- Eleuthero Root Capsules: For a simple way to add Eleuthero into your diet, try these Eleuthero Root Capsules out to promote replenished energy and greater mental focus.
- Get Up & Go Tea: Need some pep in your step to break up the daily grind? Our Get Up & Go Tea contains Eleuthero Root, Gingko, Ginger, and many more brain-boosting herbs. Gingko is an incredible focus-aid, and Eleuthero can help energize your mind and body when you’re struggling with brain fog.
- Memo Right Capsules: Our Memo Right Capsules are created with memory-enhancing Gingko and Gotu Kola, energizing Eleuthero, and brain-boosting Rosemary. These capsules can even help to increase oxygen to the brain!*
If you’re interested in learning more about brain-boosting herbs, you’ll love our previous pieces on nootropics for memory & mental clarity and nootropics for improving mental focus & nerve health.
We hope today’s piece on defeating brain fog helps you take the first step in fighting back against concentration issues, fatigue, and haziness.
Leilah & Natalie